Feb 24, 2008

The Man Under the Bridge

Today is Bill's 39th birthday. I can't believe it. I'm not old enough to be married to a 39 year old!

Ryder has pink eye and a cold on top of that, so I'm staying home from church with him. Bill took the other kids.

The other day I went grocery shopping when at checkout I smelled a pungent odor. This odor was reminiscent of a trip to San Fransciso when I was a teenager. As it assailed my nostrils, suddenly a mental image came to mind of a homeless person. My eyes darted around, hoping to catch the subject from whence it came. Lo! A man in the next aisle, tattered and disheveled, was bagging his groceries. I was intrigued. So intrigued, that I followed him as he slowly pushed his cart of provisions out the door. I was careful to avoid the backdraft. He found his way ever so slowly to a beat up vehicle from the 1970's. I followed him down the street, wondering if he lived under a bridge somewhere. We parted ways at the intersection.

I've always been fascinated with different people. People who don't fit society's "norm". I wonder what events have taken place in their lives, what trials and tribulations they have had to endure--what they have overcome, only to live another day. They are filled with stories of interest and intrigue. Stories we can learn from if we stop avoiding the differences and embrace the similarities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEING GREEN

THE CUT-OUT KID STRIKES AGAIN!

Ernie and Oscar learn they like different things-great for kids on the Spectrum!