Jan 17, 2009

MY ASPIE HUSBAND


Today I wondered, will I ever miss the things that drive me crazy about my Aspie husband? Or will those memories be a source of comfort and happiness someday when I'm old and gray?


Will I miss Bill's 11 pens in his right pants pocket?

Will I miss his giant pickle jar filled with quarters devoted to the USA Today's weekly edition of basketball stats?

Will I miss his endless aches and pains?

Will I miss the methodical way that he eats fried chicken-crunching and nibling ever so slightly on the tiniest of bones?

Will I miss his growing collection of crossword puzzles with each page finished in pencil and the time it took to finish it highlighted at the top?

Will I miss his quest for descriptive details?

Will I miss the way he can't hear his alarm go off?

Will I miss his hourly (it seems) bathroom episodes?

Will I miss the quirky way he ties his shoes and matches his clothes like Cousin Eddy?

Will I miss all of the receipts, trinkets, ticket stubs, and fast food restaurant napkins he saves? Gag.
***********************************************************************************

In the present, I would miss his help in changing Ryder's diapers.

I would miss his taking the garbage out.I would miss his help with bathing the kids.

I would miss his staying up late "just in case one of the kids wakes up".

I would miss his cleaning up vomit in the middle of the night after Hunter or Ryder has a seizure.
I would miss the candy bar he buys me every time he fills his car up with gas.

I would miss how he holds the door open for me even when it really isn't logical.

I would miss having a walking dictionary.

2 comments:

  1. Me too. Mine's very similar to yours. Has great ups (lots of verbal fun) and some pretty low downs... the indecision is what drives me the most crazy... especially when choosing ice-creams or from a menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I have been married for almost 30 years. We didn't know until about 5 years ago what was the problem with our life. It has been a very hard life for both of us and our children. It has been made easier by knowing what the issues are. My husband can't find things even when they are in plain site because he only sees in pictures, the pictures he sees in his mind. If the reality doesn't match, he can't see it. For instance, a few weeks ago my husband had been ironing some of his shirts in our bedroom. He got interrupted and then I put the ironing board away and moved the iron to the dresser for later use. In my husband's mind, he still saw the iron exactly when he left it. I told him it was on the dresser and still he couldn't see it. I had to go with him and show him before he could change the picture in his mind. It's crazy making.

    ReplyDelete

BEING GREEN

THE CUT-OUT KID STRIKES AGAIN!

Ernie and Oscar learn they like different things-great for kids on the Spectrum!