Jan 13, 2009

SHOULD I TAKE ACTION OR LET IT GO?







Having kids with disabilities turns us into fighters whether we want to be or not. I really try not to be too anal about things, but sometimes I have to put up a fight for the kiddos.




The other day, out of the blue, Hunter started complaining how he hates math and "why does math have to be so hard?" and "why do I have to learn math the new way?" and "why can't the teacher stop swearing?" and...Whoa...back up a little. "What?" was my reply. Then he proceeded to tell me how a girl in his low- math class wasn't understanding a simple math problem that the teacher had explained in detail. This little girl apparently has something "wrong with her because she talks funny and shakes" (according to Hunter). The teacher was angry, and said, "Oh my God" several times. This is very upsetting to Hunter because we don't swear in our house. I tried to tell him that some people may not realize it is a curse word in that manner, and they may not even realize other people are offended.




Everything is either black or white with Hunter. It's hard to teach him about the gray.




So, what do you think? Should I bring it up to the teacher, or just let it go, or talk to the principal in generalities, or make an anonymous suggestion box? What would you out there, do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEING GREEN

THE CUT-OUT KID STRIKES AGAIN!

Ernie and Oscar learn they like different things-great for kids on the Spectrum!