Feb 25, 2008

Breakdowns, Meltdowns, Shutdowns, Oh My!

It's been one of those days.

The old Hunter is back today. He woke up this morning with a nasty headache and his speech was slurred. He wet the bed--or pull-up, rather. That is just too weird that he has regressed and back in Pull-ups. He has not worn a Pull-up since he was 4 years old! He'll be 9 in April! It's got to be the medication. I called the nurse and she said she'll move up his appt in March. She'll call back tomorrow--they are right in the middle of moving the office. I kept Hunter home from school today. I forgot to give him his Concerta, so he has been a holy terror after he "woke up" from the after affects of the seizure.

Bill came home early from school today with a migraine. He had a weird breakdown of sorts last night after we watched the movie, 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape'. (Leonardo DiCaprio plays an autistic boy and does an awesome job.) Bill was sobbing uncontrollably, shaking, and couldn't talk. These breakdowns occur on average 2 times a year. I think that is where the migraine came from. I remember when we were first married and these breakdowns would happen. It was really weird. I've never seen a grown man do that before. It takes hours for him to get back to normal, and he usually falls asleep right afterwards.

Mercedes had her own little shutdown this morning before school. I kept telling her to hurry, we were going to be late, and each time I would open her door to remind her, she hadn't budged. She would just stare at me, not saying a word. I became very upset with her and ended up just taking Mason to school. When I returned, I asked her why she was acting that way. She just said she didn't want to go to school and she was distracted and couldn't think of what to wear and didn't know where her books were, etc. Looking back, I can see how much she is like her dad that way. If I try to hurry him in any way, it makes things worse because he'll fumble, get anxious, and distracted. Perhaps that is why Bill makes such a production out of assembling his clothes and laying them out the night before. It is like a ritualistic ceremony. And he does NOT or CANNOT be interrupted or he gets flabergasted and annoyed. (You see, it takes concentration to correctly organize 11 pens in his pocket along with the pocketknife, wallet, erasers, checkbook, cellphone, etc., am I missing something?)

I'm always learning new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEING GREEN

THE CUT-OUT KID STRIKES AGAIN!

Ernie and Oscar learn they like different things-great for kids on the Spectrum!