Mar 24, 2009

IN THE END


Last week I attended my Grandpa's funeral. I have only been to a handful of funerals in my life. One at ages 12, 14, 18, 32, and now, 36. I really do try and avoid them because it really bothers me to see the person in the casket. I think this all started at my grandma's funeral at age 12. I remember looking at her and then looking around wondering where she was. The body inside the casket was not hers. It didn't match with how she looked when she was alive. And so it began. Every attempt to avoid funerals became my goal. Now that I am older I understand why they look different. The person's spirit is what makes them recognizable. It makes them who they are.

I tried not to look at Grandpa in the casket. It's just gross. The makeup is weird and it just bothers me. They are so lucky to be done with this Earth life. As I approached the casket, the words "tabernacle of clay" came to mind. It's true. The Lord has given us a body, a tabernacle of clay, that he has created, molded and shaped to house our spirits while we sojourn here on Earth. In Moroni 9:6, Mormon says to his son Moroni, "...let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God."

When all is said and done, it will be so nice to leave this frail existence, having accomplished our life's mission. It will be so nice to be reunited with our loved ones who have passed on and the ones who have yet to be born. I am grateful for my knowledge that life continues after this mortal sphere. We are in one big eternal round. It is good to be reminded of this now and again.
On a side note, I would prefer a closed casket viewing, myself. I don't like to be the center of attention. Not even in death, I'm afraid.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, I agree with the closed casket thing. I've only seen 2 dead bodies in my whole life - someone I barely knew (an ex's distant aunt) and my husband's grandfather. Both gave me the heebie-geebies.
    ps - im sad for your loss...

    ReplyDelete

BEING GREEN

THE CUT-OUT KID STRIKES AGAIN!

Ernie and Oscar learn they like different things-great for kids on the Spectrum!