May 23, 2008

Husky Pants


Mason received 2nd place in a patriotism essay that he wrote (with help). When I picked him up from school he climbed into the van and said, “I won 2nd place on the 'A' 'S'. I asked him what was an ‘A’ ‘S’ because in my mind AS means Asperger's Syndrome or Autism Syndrome. Finally we figured out he meant "essay" (SA). That is an example of how his brain works. I guess it's like dyslexia. He does say the funniest things sometimes. For instance, the town Lava Hot Springs, he calls it "Hava Lot Springs". This is all related to his Verbal Learning Disorder.

Recently we had him tested for Auditory Processing problems. He did well except he bombed on the part where you hear different pitches and tones. I wonder if he is tone deaf. He also couldn't finish a part of the test where there is extranious noise with two sentences spoken at the same time. He couldn't even complete the test and just shut down.

He's a funny kid, though. I see how he uses humor to cover up his mistakes. He loves watching old movies like Abbot and Costello, Martin and Lewis, and the Three Stooges. He copies their humor. He particularly likes what he calls "husky" guys. Which reminds me, his pants are husky pants (*say with emphasis*) and he thinks that's cool. It's the only way I can tell Hunter and Mason's pants apart. That's why I think they're cool.

1 comment:

  1. My Sam is a "husky" guy too! I like all the funny things my boys come up with too, aren't boys great?!

    ReplyDelete

BEING GREEN

THE CUT-OUT KID STRIKES AGAIN!

Ernie and Oscar learn they like different things-great for kids on the Spectrum!