May 23, 2008

BEING NoRmAL







My ability to recognize what is "normal" or "neurotypical" is diminishing. I used to do alot of babysitting when I was growing up and being the oldest of five kids-- alot of babysitting jobs came my way in the community. I've taken child development classes and taught children's classes in church and art, so I think I have a pretty good idea. Or at least I thought I did. The longer I'm around my kids and hubby I think I'm getting used to weird behavior. But then again, maybe no one is really "normal". We all have little idiosyncratic behaviors that we do, but we know how to hide them well from our peers. For instance--when I'm folding towels, I like to have the tag on the inside. I also don't like people touching the palms of my hands. A handshake is ok, just nothing else. (Tell that to my sisters who like to annoy me by trying to hold my hand). As a kid I tried not to step on the cracks in a sidewalk. But haven't we all tried that as kids?

Last night Hunter had some seizure activity. He has had two complex partial seizures so far this month. They always manifest as severe headaches in one spot on his forehead. Sometimes he'll have nausea with them. Tylenol didn't help. Ibuprofin makes him hyper, so I can't use that. I did some Quantum Touch on his head and rubbed peppermint essential oil on it and after an hour he was back to normal. His normal. And here we are again, talking about what exactly is considered "normal".

Here is the definition of the word normal:
Conforming to an accepted, usual, or typical form, model, or pattern.
Free from disease, disorder, or malformation; specif., average in intelligence or development
mentally sound

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEING GREEN

THE CUT-OUT KID STRIKES AGAIN!

Ernie and Oscar learn they like different things-great for kids on the Spectrum!