Here is an example of what Hunter is working on in speech therapy using idioms. See if you can pick the correct answer!
1. Whenever people argue, Joe puts his head in the sand.
a. Joe thinks arguments are as much fun as a sandbox.
b. Every time people argue, Joe pretends he is invisible.
c. Joe tries to ignore people when they argue.
2. Every time I turn around, Martha has a new cat.
a. Martha has one cat after another.
b. Whenever I twirl, Martha gets a new cat.
c. I can't believe how quickly Martha gets a new cat.
3. Let's mend our fences before school gets out for the summer.
a. Before it's summer, let's make sure all our fences are fixed.
b. Let's make up before summer starts.
c. We should settle our differences before the summer starts.
4. An apology was on the tip of Katie's tongue.
a. Katie was almost ready to say she was sorry.
b. Katie had a sore tongue.
c. Katie was just about to apologize.
5. When Dad asks Jim to do something, it goes in one ear and out the other.
a. Jim doesn't listen when his dad wants him to do something.
b. Jim quickly forgets what his dad asks him to do.
c. Jim's dad can send messages right through Jim's head.
Actually, I don't have the answers, but I think "C" is a good one for all of them except #5. That would be "b."