May 29, 2010

THE GATE IS OPEN!


"Ryder has opened the gate!" yelled Mason, our nine year old son.

These words struck me not because he opened the gate and was about to get into trouble, but because Ryder really did open the gate. He opened the gate and let Autism into our life.


We were so clueless before. Autism has made me grow so much. I feel like I am an entirely different person now. Everything has more meaning. Life is not shallow like it used to be.


I am grateful for the little things and wished that time could stand still. I appreciate the moments that capture our hearts. The quick smirk Ryder makes when he thinks no one is looking. The squeal from his lips and insistent clapping when he learns something new. The wonder in his eyes as he watches a bubble bounce around in the wind.


I am also grateful for the knowledge that I have gained. It has given me depth. I actually do have an opinion now, because of experience. Maybe this comes with age, too.

Autism has brought a sense of purpose into my life. I can help others now.


I appreciate moments to myself like now; when the house is quiet and I can do whatever I want. Until the rat race begins in 4 point 3 seconds
...

2 comments:

BEING GREEN

THE CUT-OUT KID STRIKES AGAIN!

Ernie and Oscar learn they like different things-great for kids on the Spectrum!